Plagued

Sunday, April 26, 2009 / Posted by Charlie /

Being ill sucks. I sit here having had a week off from work. Ordinarily, this would be a good thing, but seeing as that came as a result of a throat infection and temporary tonsillitus, it is certainly not a good thing. I have generally spent the last six and a half days with a horribly sore throat, coughing my lungs up and blowing my nose. I hope it isn't Mexican Flu.

I am also quitting smoking starting tomorrow. Again. I was going to do it last week, but being home ill never goes hand in hand with the stress that comes with giving up nicotine, so I decided postponing it was the best thing to do. I am also going to go back to work tomorrow, despite not being 100%, so I pray my motivation to do anything but sit on my ass has returned by 8am Monday morning.

At least with the aforementioned sitting-on-ass, I have been able to watch a few things. I started watching BAND OF BROTHERS, that was good (thank you Lovefilm), but I have spent a lot of time reacquainting myself with the original 60's STAR TREK, in preparation for the new movie, which is awesome (the show, I haven't seen the movie yet). It's always had this really bad reputation outside the Trekkie world of wooden acting, bad sets and general unintentional comedy, and while I can see it sometimes (the terrier with bits stuck on it from 'The Enemy Within', it's really surprising how good some of these episodes are. I mean, you certainly have to take into account that this was produced forty-three years ago on a relatively small budget, so in the context of that, it works really well. The stories are mostly actual proper scifi, not just a few spaceships fighting against each other and Captain Kirk doing heroic things (although admittedly, that does happen often). Like 'The Devil In The Dark', where a strange creature is killing off Federation miners, only to find out that they started it by killing its children. The creature looks like a big french bread pizza, but the writing and tone of the episode makes its scenes surprisingly emotional.

Anyway, I'm quite excited for the new film. The clips I've seen look good, and while I'm not 100% convinced, it should be a good laugh. My only real concerns is that they've hipped it up to the point where it's accessible for non-Trekkies, but at the expense of the spirit of Star Trek. But who knows, maybe I'm just being a grumpy old bastard?

On the plus side, I was able to see some very dear friends yesterday who were kind enough to visit, and their children and Logan met for the first time, which sounds all very kind of adult. But it was brilliant, and on one level amazing that it happened as I suck at communicating with people. My next mission is to ensure I see several more of my friends I haven't seen for a while, starting with two a bit of a way away who certainly know who they are.

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment